Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Laredo: The Giant in Small Chops


Mr. Lanre Jimoh
Founder, LaredoChops


I2E: What a pleasure to have you here with us on Inspire to Excel! Tell us about yourself?


Laredo: I’m popularly known as Mr. Laredo but my name is Lanre Jimoh. I’m from Lagos, Lafiaji to be precise; my parents are originally from Lagos. I’m the founder and owner of LaredoChops. It excited me that the creation of small chops which we started as a cottage business is now an industry in Nigeria. I’ve mastered and love my expertise.


I2E: What were your parent into before work and perseverance bailed you out?


Laredo: My parents survived merchandise! My father was into wristwatch merchandise at the Jankara main market in Lagos while my mum was an importer of stockfish from Norway. She was a wholesaler who supplied to retailers in every major markets and stores in Lagos. I learned the rudiments of diligence from both of them. After the transition of my beloved father in June 1988, my mum changed to canteen business due to some financial incapacity. 


I2E: We would like you to share an account from your growing up years?


Laredo: Eko Wenjele! (Laughed out loud). I was not spared from experience that makes Lagos an epicentre of hustle. While growing up, after school, I have to peddle foods around the neighbourhood in Lagos Island to support the effort of my widowed mother who had 8 (eight) children. The interesting part of the story is that my mum reciprocated by assisting to wash my school uniforms while I vend her foods. 


I2E: Can you describe your living condition then?


Laredo: We initially had the luxury of living in an apartment but later had to move to a smaller place.  


I2E: It appears you and your siblings were plunged into struggle after the transition of your dad. How did you survive?


Laredo: It was survival of the bravest and I did a lot to survive the storm. I served as waiter at parties and also outsourced skilled labour for anyone that needs the service. I hustled to bustle by scouting for opportunities to serve. The outcome was that I was able to support my mother.


Mr. Lanre Jimoh
Founder, LaredoChops


I2E: You seldom share your story. This could be from humility or the travels occasioned by your clientele that takes you to all nooks and crannies of the world. Tell us about LaredoChops which began in 1996.


Laredo: With the mentorship from my parents plus the  years of hustle and tutelage under mother with the support of my siblings, I was able to advance towards entrepreneurship. LaredoChops started within the Sandgrouse market in Lagos Island. The quality of our products spoke to the hearts of our clients and where we were located mattered less since we bent over backwards to deliver to low and top range clients. Today, to the glory of God, the business has grown to become a reputable divestment with the support from the public. Beyond the business generating income for all stakeholders, I have an unblemished and proven record of training over one thousand people. Some of the training was in partnership with Lagos State Government on Poverty Alleviation. My mission has been and remains to bring affordable delicacies to your doorstep with ease. This has helped us to stand strong and stand out.


I2E: We are so proud of your achievement! We were part of your early days. We searched you out around 2001 to support our programmes and projects for youths especially Willows Magazine, Celebrate Nigeria and Cares Children Media Workshop. It was a partnership that helped us to serve with ease because you had our backs as far as small chops was concerned. Your staff would arrive late and never for once solicited for tips. We were elated to contribute our quota to your survival by directing clients to you and also training your staff. Indeed you have come a long way this 25 years and counting


Laredo: Wow! You never told me this was a swell my head interview. Those were beautiful moments and has left us with great memories. Willows Magazine and other programmes touched lives and our support was our own CSR and we were delighted to serve.


I2E: LaredoChops survived! You have a beautiful logo and definitely did not remain in Sandgrouse Market. How and where can clients order small chops and other delicacies or find you, if they prefer one on one?


Laredo: Sure. We moved beyond small chops to include even whole smoked cow and of course cocktail drinks. We remain open for business big or small. Orders can be placed via laredochops.com and our social media handle. Those who prefer the traditional process of meeting us physically at 44 Omididun St, Lagos Island, Lagos.


I2E: Finally Mr. Laredo Chops, you started from obscurity into relevance, kindly leave the teeming youths with a word of advise.


Laredo: My dear youths! May I announce to you there is no short cut to success beyond diligence and discipline. Imbibe this and add the grace of God and you will make it beyond what you imagine. Whether your skill is in the field of medicine or merchandising, ensure you learn and translate your learning to quality service or products. LaredoChopsGiants did!


Thanks for reading! Please join us again for another edition of I2E.


 

No comments: