Friday, August 12, 2016

On Change I Stand

Myself and others campaigned for PMB-PYO as well... My tilt was more for the integrity of his VP and because PMB was a better candidate... In politically strong countries, other stronger candidates would have emerged as we are seeing with some breaking out of the republican party to put forward another candidate to tramp Trump.
That said, the story about few social influencers bolting away from PMB is not strong enough! 5 or 6 people who have emerged as online voices, under what pedigree, pulling out doesn't ruffle much feathers, we are a country of over 160 million! Omojuwa? The same one that has a shaky integrity?! What sort of media is ynaija? I won't even rely on such a source. It is like reading a story on lindaikeji and taking my bearing from there!
Yes, Buhari has fallen short of even my own expectation because I envisaged more "hard hand" in dealing with issues. But this is a democratic not autocratic government. What we are experiencing in NG is a reflection of global economy in recession and the failure of many countries to look inward.
Nigeria is a geographical space that may never change if we the people do not rethink a number of things - word, mind, decision etc. which motivate our actions. The day we start vacationing in Yankari or start writing about Yankari and the need for better services, the day we start dressing more Nigeria, eating more Nigeria, encouraging our youths more, discovering and pushing real talents forward etc. we will truly start changing in leaps and bounds as a people...
I went to barb my hair in the USA, the Spaniard could not even speak good English so much so that he couldn't say the fee, $18 well. But I happily gave him $20 after a good job and he smiled in thanks. But who will pay even N3500 not to talk of N7000 for a hair cut in NG?! Yet we compete in the same global market.
My barber in Nigeria does as good a job and even puts in hair dye and texturise my hair but I grumbled when his rate increased from N800 to N1200! Check out the cut I had for my wedding, that was him but he has not grown beyond the small outlet he has around Agnes area of Yaba!
As I watched the swimming in Olympics, I kept saying out loud, someone should get those in the riverine areas in Nigeria involved in this sport! I have seen them swim, they will make some of the world champions look like jokers! But who is developing those talent?
I am expecting more from the government no doubt. While still at it, I am praying more, advocating more and looking inwards to make decisions that can support the direction of NG. The group we established to campaign for PMB-PYO has been transformed into an advocacy group where real change, good governance and better life is promoted daily. Membership is opened to Nigerians everywhere who believe in and stand with the real philosophy of positive change which starts with self.
What are these named social media activists doing even in their communities? Point to the projects they have done, the in depth analysis, the research paper... Talk is cheap. Linda Ikeji collected millions and bought a house she has no business buying if her heart was truly in growing Nigeria! What projects has she done to better the life of Nigerians? Instead she earned herself a ban for sidestepping the fair use rule on blogs and teamed up with politicians to defraud us. I met her once and she reeked of pride. That would not be my example of a Nigerian youth that can swing decision, if we have our minds in the right place.
Those of us who have the pedigree and should be talking, analysing, reviewing need to get more people on board so that more credible folks can swing the direction of the youths and leaders positively not the corrupt social influencers and inept leaders taking us on a crincum-crancum ride!
I later found this link - www.nairaland.com/2220376/deliver-j.... Nairaland has never been my source for serious news but the writer hit home even when no one else did in 2015!
I campaigned for Osinbajo and by implication Buhari, but clearly stated my reasons while I remained unaffiliated by cash and carry to any party. When message and money mix, there is an imminent mess!
My 10 kobo.
From the Desk of Dr. Omolola Omoteso

*Excerpt was first written as a response to someone who referred me to the ynaija link about young influential Nigerians bolting away from PMB.

No comments: