Saturday, April 22, 2017

Abike's Musing - I'm eating the good of Nigeria

Our people talk say person no dey take one day feed child wey don lean... NG na dat child; we need all hands on deck to solve this surutu.

No be today we don dey point finger; make we begin proffer solution... We do that on here on Solidarity Action Network...

I have been around for a while, I never once heard folks saying country good. Truth be told, we don chop our tomorrow yesterday! When I was at FGC Odogbolu, we were paid "Oil Boom" bonus as transportation. Many of us were picked by our parents so it was not need based. We the reliable ones wrote down our exact location but soon we realised that those who were resident in Lagos claimed Maiduguri so they could get a higher rate! They smiled home with their oil boom while others frowned home.

The truth? We were all being given a slice of NG's future. Some teachers who knew students lied collected on behalf of such students and split it! That was millions that could have gone towards developing the schools but useless policy makers who no doubt smiled to the bank initiated this sharing... Now everyone is singing "diaris God o"!

Let the bashing stop, we haven't gained much from it! Let information sharing continue, we need to be informed to map the right direction. Let's point out what these leaders may be doing wrong but most importantly let us act as we determine to look inwards... Let's come up with points to share on Twitter anchored on @MBuhari @PRofOsinbajo or @AnyRelevantLeader, I do it weekly!

But most importantly, let us look inwards. I counselled someone today who had to keep her children out of school last term; she is still owing 100k. Who says our children cannot go to public schools? Where did you go? Why the craze for spending money we do not earn only for them to come and do us oyinbo lingo "Daddy, don't be silly!" Hian! Na ya money you take look for the gbege!

What can we do?
Before the change begins with me campaign now generating brouhaha, I initiated change begins with self and promoted the quote, "Change is a process, not a party!" ~ St. Anne

How have you changed?
I have decided to stop enriching oyinbo! So, I have made a decision to buy less oyinbo... And spend fewer months in obodo oyinbo. I have not bought oyinbo body cream in 2 years (have I used oyinbo cream, yes; I haven't stopped receiving as gift), I sell and use coconut oil and shea butter! I have given up foreign toothpaste for dabur. I have disowned hair extension for a while now, I now wear gorimapa! I used to change my glasses every year, I just did after 5 years! Ijebu tinz? No, I bought the one that cost me a arm and a leg but I used it well and spread the cost...

Within groups you belong, share what you do, it is to help us connect better and patronise one another... Within your group, you can create wealth.

Few friends and I have started investment banking. Not anything official but we trust God will help us. We bring on board those with some change to spare and we give to hardworking women who return over a period with 20% interest... Our money is saving lives and working for us!

I also joined other women to buy a land and we planted plantain... The next level is ugwu... You can do that in your group. Ogun State is presently selling land at give away price to those who are interested in farming. Osun State too. Look around you, there are people who know people who can help with land acquisition. Farming is the next big thing after oil! The other day my brother brought me fish from his farm; it was healthier than anything I had ever bought it the market.

I was at a point not in paid employment but lack was far from me... I changed my language; I no longer say country hard, I say, I am eating the good of the land! I give and I receive in torrents! I plant and I harvest bountifully...

Please look inwards!

We love UAE and Dubai is on many lips but there was a time all they did and sold was fish! They had it and focused on it... Now we go there to see their sand and their water fountain!

Eko (agidi) is cheap but I haven't seen it abroad. I asked my sister to send me fresh ogi, I begin make my own eko (see photo below)! Dinner is sorted! It is healthier than using the nonsense dry ogi sold in obodo! I bet if I have the capacity, I would have folks ordering from me 😉

The day we start going to Obudu, Shere Hills, Olumo Rock... The day our children are no longer called Emily Oni'kaba after the abroad dresses and gowns, the day our children can respond to us in local dialects and cook our indigenous food, we would have started the journey to real FREEDOM.

While we feel chained by pronounced recession, focus on removing yours and advocate to help the government free themselves, this way they would be freed to free others!

Matthew 7:5.


I am Dr. Omolola Omoteso and I approve this message!

No comments: