Wednesday, July 6, 2016

When life is worth nothing...


When your life is worth nothing at the Federal Medical Centre Bida (FMCB)


I am a Doctor in the Federal Medical Center Bida and it is high time someone spoke up about how healthcare is over here. Bida is a local government in Niger state, Nigeria. As Doctors in FMCB, our hands have literally been tied, our lips sealed shut while decay rules the day.

For the past two weeks and ongoing, the FMCB is experiencing the worst drought ever! No light, No diesel, No water, No Oxygen, More deaths!

The condition as so degenerated over the past days that we doctors and other healthcare worker bring flashlights to work. Patients are instructed to buy sachet water that we the doctors could use to wash our hands.No light to run emergency operations or investigations; no oxygen…

It has gotten so bad that Doctors temporally Bring along small temporarily generators to help charge devices, pump water and light up certain parts of the hospital. Situation has really gone bad.

Where is the MD and what is he doing you may ask. Where are the internally generated funds going?

The MD doesn’t care! Dr. Usman Aminu, the MD, lives in Abuja most of the time; he lectures in Ilorin and to add salt to injury, he recently travellef for the [Eid el-Fitr] celebration despite being fully aware of the present condition. 

Two days ago, I witnessed a child rushed into the pediatric emergency unit… So sad, nothing was working… I watched this child die! No Oxygen, No light…. Nothing!

In the past one week the number of preventable deaths I have witnessed due to managerial faults is heart breaking. Neonatal mortality and infant Mortality rates have been on the rise in these past week in FMCB. Where is the MD? He is on Vacation.

Today [5th July, 2016], as I pen this, my heart bleeds. We lost two neonates today and about to lose more in respiratory distress, No oxygen. 

The only crime a patient would make is coming to the FMCB because the chances that they die is far higher that surviving…. (I reject it for you!)

Throughout the month of June, no power in the whole of Bida (As expected! After all, we are in Nigeria where things don’t work). That aside, the past two weeks and present in the FMCB is dining with darkness.  
Nothing works here anymore. 

Who then is to blame? The federal Government or the Management, The MD?

The primary blame would be on the Federal government as usual and I completely agree with you but I Blame the Management of FMCB (Dr. Usman Aminu) more. I will explain why. 

Let me begin with this maxim:  where there is will, there is the drive for change; where the head is smaller than the crown, the neck makes a fool of the opportunity.
Just as observed in every FG controlled organisatio , The FG is directly involved in the selection of the MD of that organization. These appointed MD or ‘head’ then becomes unaccountable to anyone. Like other ‘heads’, they sing the common melody: “fund is limited”. Their pockets grow fatter. They assume a position of selfishness regardless of their subordinates’ pain.

Who should we blame for these deaths? The MD, Dr. Usman Aminu. He should be tried for murder, his license stripped away and he investigated by the EFCC. This cannot slide by as usual Mr. President. Let the change you promised begin here in Bida on The MD.

This by no way is a personal vendetta; you could come and ask for yourself…. Start by questioning the indigenes before staff of FMCB. You would hear far worse. I promise!



This cannot go on. Why is the MD still in power? Why is he still being paid? Why should this slide? 
He pockets and diverts internally generated funds. He employs far less that required quota of staff (both interns and full time staff alike)… 

Dear citizens of Nigeria, Help tell Mr. president that change has to come to the health sector. You might not be buoyant to travel abroad for health treatments. I could be your child, son, daughter, father, wife, husband, or mother tomorrow. 
Let us call the health sector to order, it begins with YOU.

Would I be wrong if I am the one who speaks out? Would my job be threatened? Or better still, should I keep being the typical Nigerian who waits and prays while stroking the ego of decay and corruption? Should I be the lone voice in the whiteness? What would be my fate?I care less! Then what do I care for? I care more for humanity. I care for healthcare in Nigeria. I care for actual change. It could be me tomorrow.

We doctors in FMCB need help and intervention…. FMCB should be renamed a mortuary. The management has made it so.



The story was culled from www.adeolafayehun.com

No comments: