Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Stepping Out


Are you okay? Are you sure you are okay? Why? These are the type of queries my decision to return to my homeland elicited. Why shouldn't I return? When I stepped out four (4) years ago, it was to do a master degree programme and return home. I did not even think of waiting an extra year.

Fourth quarter into my programme, I got an opportunity to study for a second master programme. Why not tap into it? My Mum has always been interested in me doing a course in education so I decided on a course of study in education. But, instead of administration which has always been my Mum's first choice, I chose Cultural Studies. One win for her, one win for me.

It all started when I signed up for an outreach programme which saw me visiting schools to share the Nigerian and African culture with students and teachers. It made so much impact that the Director awarded me an assistantship to work as Cultural Consultant. The award covered about 70% of the fees. Talk about God making a way. Thinking that the assistantship was for two (2) years and with one year of my first master programme done, I decided on the second master. Since I stepped out in faith, God stepped in when I was notified that it was just for a year. God ensured that despite having to go through interviews again, the assistantship came to me a second time.

But here am I, two months after shocking family, friends and acquaintances by stepping out of the USA in faith, I am besieged by the fear of the unknown and I'm waiting to see what Nigeria offers before stepping in. My plan was to get a place of abode, get a job, a car and maybe a man as icing on the cake; all before stepping in. Sure God can do it but isn't that a way of baiting God, of boxing Jesus into a corner. If you do this, that and those, I will...

When it seem nothing had changed in the direction of my needs, I started singing the song of "I'm jobless, homeless and manless" perhaps someone will hear my solo and offer help. But my God does not share His glory with anyone. He ensured all promises in that line had the tag of "when you return, I'll see what I can do." But?

How did I get to this point where like Thomas I want to see before believing? Thinking back to where it all started, going to America was a miracle. How else do one explain that God took me to Brazil to meet an Associate Professor from the US as a way of orchestrating my study abroad which I prayed for in Nigeria.

How else do you explain that in answer to my prayer, strangers were located at my point of arrival to drive me to school and become a family that stuck close throughout my sojourn. How else do you explain that without the help of anyone, God led me from Ohio to lodge in a hotel and from there to Maryland to reside in a home that met every specification I desired. Miracle has trailed my going but now that it is time to return, I want to see to what God is asking me to return. How so very Didymus!

I have thought long and I have thougth deep now I'm done waiting. While I have no doubt that this waiting period is in line with God's plan, it is time to mix faith with my desire to impact Nigeria. It is time to step out. It is time to step up into what God has prepared for me; a global enterprise not just a job, a home garnished with peace not just a place of abode, an extra-ordinary man not just a husband...

Two weeks from now I'll be home to step into God's awesome favour. My testimonies shall challenge many and my story shall be marked out as glory.

No comments: